These were supposed to be Margaritas, and if you want a Margarita then just substitute ‘tequila blanca’ for the mezcal!
1. Rim glasses with lime and dip into salt.
2. Into a powerful blender pour:
- 1 can of limeade concentrate (we used Minute Maid, made with ‘real limes’)
- 3-4 cans of ice cubes
- 1/2 can mezcal* (we used ‘El Famoso Mezcal Anejo, 100% agave’)
- 1/4 can triple sec
- the juice of 1 or 2 fresh lime(s)
3. Blend until ice is crushed.
As limes vary greatly in acidity and intensity, you might want to test the mix for sweetness and strength. If it is too sour you can add sugar syrup or more Triple Sec; if the flavour is too intense, you can dilute it with another can of ice cubes or cold water, and blend again.
Once it is ‘al gusto’, pour into salt-rimmed glasses and serve immediately.
Note: Everyone thought they were mighty fine Margaritas until I realized that Al had used mezcal rather than tequila. Mona then called them ‘Mezcalitos’, and history was made!
These go really well with Marinated Queso Fresco: https://albatz.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/marinated-queso-fresco-a-mexican-style-appetizer/