Location: Talay Thai, 8369 Granville St, Vancouver.
- Gaeng Masaman Moo, yellow coconut curry with pork, potato, onion, lychee and pineapple. My favourite dish of all the classes, and it was in with some tough competition. It’s not actually on the menu but they will make it for you, no problem! (Recipe)
- Yam Pla-Muk, squid salad with a sweet sour dressing.
- The ‘Floating Market’ appetizer, also not on the menu, was prawns with spinach in a tempura-like batter.
Num Jeem, was the mango-apple dressing for the this appetizer. I could have eaten the dressing on its own – sweet, sour and spicy.
- Gai Pad-King, chicken with ginger, mushroom, pepper and onions in a rich dark sauce.
- Shoo-Shee Pla, BC salmon simmered in a red coconut curry sauce.
- Satay Gai, satay with peanut sauce and syrupy cucumber dressing
- Khao Neeo Dahm, Thai black sticky rice & sweet coconut milk. The first taste is a burst of sweet, salty and texture. The best black rice dessert I have ever had – I don’t normally like this dessert.
A FEW WEEKS LATER: I was raving about this restaurant so much that we went back for a friend’s birthday, armed with the class list of dishes, many that weren’t actually on the menu. Dinner for four, with special requests and a bottle of wine, came to only $84, including the dreaded HST.