This is from our cooking class in Udaipur, and makes two cups of my favourite ginger chai!
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 inch ginger, grated
1 cup milk
loose black tea – 2 tsp
one cinnamon stick, 2 peppercorns, 2 cloves and 2 cardamon pods (grind in pestle a little beforehand)
sugar – to taste (most Indians I’ve met add astonishing amounts of sugar: 8 tsp. or more!)
- In a small pot, add water and grated ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Add in milk and again bring to a boil, stirring in between.
- Stir in tea leaves and bring to a rolling boil.
- Turn off stove, add ground cardamon, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Cover and allow to steep for several minutes.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Strain into cups
How they make Chai in India:
More on our 2010 trip to India.