This creamy and luscious dessert, known as ‘Jericalla’, is a type of custard or flan with a Jalisco twist. The basic ingredients are very simple: eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- three cups of milk with a few cinnamon sticks are brought to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add 2 tsp. vanilla extract and set aside to cool slightly
- preheat the oven to 325°
- whisk three egg yolks together with 3/4 cup of sugar until the mixture forms a ribbon. Slowly add the cooled milk while whisking
- pour the mixture into oven-safe custard cups, put the cups in a baking pan filled with enough water to reach a third of the way up the cups and bake in a 325° oven for 45 minutes
- flan from Jalisco, known as ‘jericalla‘, showing the caramelization of the custard surface. If there is not enough colour brown under a broiler for a few minutes
- after dinner enjoy Mariachi music and dance from this most Mexican of states!